Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Russia Did Not Get the Memo

I do not know how many people have seen the video clip from the Obama Russia visit in which man after man refuses to shake his hand moving on to enthusiastically shake the hand of the Russian president .



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1C_NWMRs8Q

The "Mainstream Media" obviously buried it and that is a disgrace. Imagine if this had been President Bush. Do you really believe the media would have overlooked it? Not a chance.

But I do have to say that after my initial shock and thoughts of how typical this is of the MSM, I was hit with a few other surprising reactions.

1) I thought how childish and blatantly disrespectful of the Russians. They are acting like grade school children playing a cruel joke on one they do not like and wish to humiliate.

2) Regardless of what I may think of his policies and character, he is still my president and when he is disrespected we all are disrespected.

3) As a black person growing up in the 50s and 60s, I could not but bristle with anger at the appearance of racism.

The big picture is that we are still America and while the Obama administration wants to paint a picture that their new tone and "reset button" will make a positive difference in international relations, Russia is still Russia and its leaders live to exploit weakness in others.

I hope someone wakes this president and those around him up before what he experienced bfalls us all.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Kathy said...

It also appears to me that their Russian leader was part of this snub in that he knew their handshakes were coming to him and had his hand out to recieve it. All the way down the line, he was actually stepping out to receive the handshakes in place of Obama.

3:26 PM  
Blogger L Kay Johnson said...

Wow--I have not seen this. This really is shameful. I don't agree with his politics, but he does not deserve this kind of treatment. At the same time, the greatest leaders know that being liked as a leader is never a guarantee (think Ghandi, King, and the greatest of all, Jesus). You have to be ok with rejection as a leader and find your affirmation in something greater than social acceptance. It gives me no joy, though, to see him treated this way.

4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home